A detailed and expert annotation of the Criminal Justice (Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing) Act 2010
Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing Act 2010: Annotated
Author: Dr Max Barrett | ISBN: 978-1-905536-35-1 | Format: Paper Back | Price: €80 | Publication Date: 6 January 2011
Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing Act 2010: Annotated is a detailed and expert annotation of the Criminal Justice (Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing) Act 2010. The Act implements the Third Money Laundering Directive in Ireland. It replaces the Criminal Justice Act 1994 as the legislative centrepiece of Ireland’s anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing regime.
This annotated version of the new Act considers the:
- Risk-based customer due diligence (or “CDD”) requirements that the Act introduces
- New provisions concerning politically exposed persons.
- Reporting requirements arising under the Act.
- Offence of “tipping off”.
- Provisions for the monitoring of designated persons by competent authorities.
- Authorisation of trust or company service providers.
- Approval of guidelines by the Minister for Justice and Law Reform.
- Registration of persons directing private members’ clubs at which gambling activities are carried on.
- “Whistle-blowing” or “good faith reporting” provision made in the Act.
This book also seeks to set the Act in its historical and wider legal context, making reference to international and European measures, most particularly the Third
Money Laundering Directive, where appropriate. In addition the text identifies and briefly considers all the secondary legislation that has, at the time of writing, been made pursuant to the Act.
About the Author
Dr Max Barrett is a practising solicitor and currently the Group Company Secretary with Anglo Irish Bank. He has worked as the Head of Legal and Compliance in a number of banks (both IFSC-based and high street institutions) and is the author of numerous articles on Ireland’s anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing legislation.
Full Text of
- Criminal Justice (Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing) Act 2010
With Expert Commentary