The first book to deal with the practical and legal issues that confront the veterinary profession in Ireland
Veterinary Law and Practice in Ireland
Authors: : Finola Colgan Carey and Lisa Geraghty | ISBN: 978-1-911611-35-6 | Format: Paperback | Price: €39 | Publishing: 25 November 2021
Veterinary Law and Practice in Ireland is the first book to deal with the practical and legal issues that confront the veterinary profession. The authors give their professional and practical perspectives from their respective legal and veterinary disciplines.
This book examine current legislation and case law and how it reflects on veterinary practice and its operation. Legal issues such as employment law, contract law, professional negligence and duty of care are examined. Animal health, welfare practice, ethical considerations, adherence to good governance and mental health and well-being issues are all given consideration.
Veterinary Law and Practice in Ireland is an all-encompassing reference book for all persons in the veterinary profession including veterinary practitioners, veterinary medicine, veterinary nursing students and all para-professionals engaged in veterinary work.
Part I Regulation Of The Profession
- Chapter 1: The Veterinary Practice Act 2005 (As Amended) And The Veterinary Council Of Ireland
- Chapter 2: Legal Standards In Veterinary Practice
- Chapter 3: The Codes Of Professional Conduct For Veterinary Practitioners.
- Chapter 4: Ethical Standards In Veterinary Practice
- Chapter 5 Fitness to Practise Procedures of the Veterinary Council of Ireland
Part II Civil, Professional And Contractual Obligations
- Chapter 6: An Introduction To The Irish And European Legal Systems
- Chapter 7: Contract Law And Veterinary Practice
- Chapter 8: Professional Liability
- Chapter 9: Data Protection Legislation
- Chapter 10: Freedom Of Information Act And The Workplace
- Chapter 11: The Veterinary Practitioner As An Expert Witness
Part III: Public Health And The Role Of The Veterinary Profession In Society
- Chapter 12 : The Role of the Veterinary Profession in Food Safety
- Chapter 13: The Role of the Veterinary Profession in Animal Welfare
Part IV Employment Law Rights and Obligations
- Chapter 14: The Employment Relationship
- Chapter 15: Restrictive Covenants in Veterinary Practice
- Chapter 16: Workplace Procedures and Policies and the use of Mediation in Conflict Resolution
Part V: Health, Safety And Wellbeing In Veterinary Practice
- Chapter 17: Safety Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005
- Chapter 18: The Organisation of Working Time Act 1997 and Veterinary Practice
- Chapter 19: Rights and Obligation of Pregnant Workers and Parental Leave Entitlements
- Chapter 20: Self Care and Well-Being
About the Authors
Finola Colgan Carey is a law lecturer in the Technological University of the Shannon: Midlands Midwest, and holds the following qualifications, BA, LL.B, LL.M, Higher Diploma in Education, Diploma in Project Management, Certificate in Train the Trainer and PG Diploma in Workplace Health Promotion.
Dr Lisa Geraghty MVB, MSc, BA(Hons) Law, AM is a veterinary practitioner who lectures in Technological University of the Shannon: Midlands Midwest and consults on employment law compliance and workplace dispute resolution in veterinary practice.
Who Should Buy This Book?
This book is an essential tool for all persons in the veterinary profession including veterinary practitioners, veterinary nurses, veterinary practice managers, students of veterinary medicine and nursing, and all para-professionals engaged in supporting the veterinary industry.